What is a Social Media Manager?
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a social media manager?
Social Media Managers are professionals who are associated with the marketing of any products and services through social media platforms. The overall position of a social media manager is to lead all the social media activities of an organisation, make strategies to boost visibility and improve customer interaction on these platforms.
What are the roles/responsibilities of a social media manager?
The basic role of a social media manager is to look after a brand’s social media platforms and all related activities. Some of the common roles/responsibilities of a social media manager are:
• Managing all the social media channels of a company like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
• Developing a strategy to increase the brand awareness and setting a goal for customer engagement.
• Devising various attractive promotional campaigns to improve the customer engagement.
• Managing the creative team to publish engaging multimedia content such as videos, gifs and pictures to promote a brand or service.
• Implementing a content editorial calendar in order to plan and publish marketing campaigns timely.
• Monitoring the performance of the content on social media regularly using analytical tools and making strategies to improve them.
What are the skills/tools associated with social media management?
If you want a successful career in social media management, the following skills are required:
• In-depth knowledge of all the popular social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, G+, Instagram and Pinterest.
• High creative skills and ability to create engaging content.
• Working knowledge of common social media content delivery tools like Hootsuite and Asana.
• Decent analytical and time management skills.
• Perfect communication and team management skills.
What are the career outcomes with an experience in social media management?
• Digital Marketing Manager
• Head of Content
• Chief Editor
• Marketing Manager
What is the average salary of a social media manager?
The average salary for a social media manager is around ₹ 4 Lacs per annum and with experience or a certification, the earning potential of a professional can increase. Also, a professional with a certification in social media marketing can have a better career graph as compared to a non-certified one. It may vary depending on the qualification, experience and organisation.
What are the advantages of becoming a social media manager?
The role of a social media manager is an important one for an organisation as he/she is responsible for maintaining the social media channels that directly connect with the customers. Following are the advantages of becoming a social media manager:
• As a social media manager, you will be handling the social media channels of some of the popular brands in the industry and it will provide you with a wealth of experience.
• You get to work with a lot of creative people and also interact with people from across different departments.
• As a social media manager, you can expect to go for a better role with experience in marketing and communications.
Which profiles can go for a social media manager position?
• Social Media Executives
• Content Writers/Content Executives
• Digital Marketing Executives
• Marketing Associates/Sales Executive
Who can become a social media manager?
• Non-experienced professionals – Without any experience in social media and copywriting, it is difficult for a candidate to get a job as social media manager. Such candidates usually go for a certification course to acquire the required skills and knowledge.
• Experienced professionals – Experience always helps when you are looking for a job and with the right experience in social media management, your chances of becoming a social media manager are high.
Naukri Learning offers a plethora of online courses in social media marketing which will help you to enhance your career, get better job opportunities and a higher pay package.
What are the eligibility criteria of a social media manager?
There are no fixed eligibility criteria for becoming a social media manager but experience in the field can be a lot of help. Most of the professionals who go for social media skills have good creative and analytical skills. If you want to improve your chances of becoming a social media manager you can go for a certification course in social media marketing.
Why are candidates going for a social media manager profile?
Social media managers are core to an organisation’s marketing plans and this is the reason a lot of top companies look to hire experienced professionals. Outlined below are some of the reasons why candidates are going for a social media manager profile:
• Social Media Executives – For social media executives, being a social media manager is a step up in their professional life. They will have an improved career path and also an increased salary.
• Content Writers/Content Executives – Content writers and content executives have limited skills set as compared to social media managers. As a social media manager, there is going to be a lot of responsibilities and with it, there will be a good career growth. There is a lot of competition in the content industry and as there are a number of content writers having the same skills, the salary and career growth is low as compared to a social media manager.
• Marketing Executives/Sales Executives – Marketing executives and sales executives are entry-level positions and moving to marketing manager position will require a lot of efforts as there are a huge number of professionals in the industry with similar skill set. Therefore, being a social media manager can easily lead to a better career journey.
What do recruiters look for in the candidature of a social media manager?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a social media manager:
• Prior experience – If you already have some amount of experience in handling social media channels and creating attractive content for brands, you can have a good chance of getting a job.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help pave a way to your dream of becoming a social media manager.
• Key Skills – content management, social media marketing, social media analytics, copywriting, campaigns, paid promotion and pay per click.
What are the top recruiters that hire social media managers?
Nowadays social media marketing is an important activity done by nearly all prominent organisations to connect with their customers. Some of the top recruiters that hire social media managers are Amazon, Flipkart, Adobe, Ogilvy PR, Publicis iStrat, and Tata BSS.