What is a Sales Agent?
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a sales agent?
A sales agent is a professional who is associated with selling products, goods or services to customers or business clients. A sales agent can sell through different modes and is responsible for bringing in new customers or developing sales strategies that will improve the company’s sales numbers.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a sales agent?
Apart from the primary responsibility of selling, there are various other important roles played by a sales agent. Some of which are outlined below:
• Making outbound calls to potential customers or attending inbound calls from existing customers.
• Meeting the sales targets and quotas.
• Improvising on the sales scripts to deliver customised, target sales pitches.
• Answering to customers’ questions clearly and listening attentively to understand their requirements.
• Closing sales from the leads of potential customers.
• Maintaining a record of contacted customers and potential leads.
• Working with the sales team to prevent spamming potential customers.
What are the skills required to become a sales agent?
To be a successful sales agent, you should have the following essential skills:
• Excellent communication (verbal and non-verbal) and negotiation skills.
• Good customer service and listening skills.
• Ability to remain focussed throughout the sales process.
• High-level of persistence and determination.
• Flexible working attitude and able to work under pressure.
• Goal oriented and in-depth understanding of the company’s products or services.
What are the career outcomes with experience as a sales agent?
With an experience as a sales agent, you can expect to work in one of the following profiles:
• Sales Officer
• Senior Sales Executive
With greater experience and skills, you can also have the opportunity to move to better positions like:
• Sales Manager/Area Sales Manager
• VP – Sales/Director of Sales
• National Head/Sales Head
What is the average salary of a sales agent?
The average salary of a sales agent is approximately ₹ 2.5 – 5 Lakhs per annum and it can vary according to the person’s professional experience, skills and the type of organisation. Generally, with a certification in sales, you can expect a better career growth and salary as compared to a non-certified professional.
What are the career advantages of becoming a sales agent?
As a sales agent, you will gain various professional experience, which will help you to move up the hierarchy. Some of the benefits of becoming a sales agent are:
• You will get to deal with different types of customers and clients, which will tremendously help you to understand how to communicate in the best way possible for different people. This will help you in your future career prospects.
• As a sales agent, you will get to understand the nuances of sales in details, which is very important if you are going to manage your own team in the future.
• There are many incentives associated with a sales job, which can help you to earn more than your base salary.
Which profiles can go for a sales agent position?
• Fresh graduates
• Call Centre Representatives
• Retail Associates
• Retail Sales Executives
• Data Entry Operators
Who can become a sales agent?
• Fresh graduates – To become a sales agent, you need to have very good interpersonal skills, which does not depend on experience. This is why fresh graduates can easily become sales agents. You can improve your career growth with a professional course in sales.
• Non-experienced professionals – Like fresh graduates, non-experienced professionals can also get many opportunities to become a sales agent. You just need to learn on the job or with the help of certification, grow your career.
• Experienced professionals – Most experienced professionals already have some amount of knowledge in sales processes and have good communication skills. You can improve those skills with a professional training in sales.
Naukri Learning offers a variety of courses, which have been specifically designed to provide practical knowledge on sales and negotiation techniques.
What is the eligibility criteria to become a sales agent?
There is no fixed eligibility criteria to become a sales agent. However, it is required to have excellent communication skills. Candidates from any background can start their career as a sales agent. A certification in sales can benefit a lot and improve your chances to boost your career.
Why are candidates going for a sales agent profile?
To start a career in sales and marketing, a sales agent is a good profile. Some of the prominent reasons why candidates are going for a sales agent role are:
• Fresh graduates – Those who have excellent communication and negotiation skills but lack in the technical areas can start their professional journey in a sales role. They can learn on the job and earn certifications, which will propel their career in the right direction. This is why fresh graduates prefer a sales agent role.
• Call Centre Representatives – The career path of a call centre representative is slightly unidirectional. . However, with a sales agent career, you can easily switch to a better position as you gain skills and experience.
• Retail Sales Executives/Retail Associate – As a retail sales executive or associate, your industry expertise get constricted and as a sales agent, you can widen your experience and skill set.
What do recruiters look for in a sales agent candidate?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a sales agent:
• Prior experience – Though prior experience is not an important criterion, it can be a deciding factor at times. However, you can get the same skills as an experienced person with the help of a certification in sales.
• Key skills – Outbound calling, negotiation skills, excellent communication, good listening ability, cold calling, lead generation, etc.
Who are the top recruiters that hire sales agent?
Every organisation needs a sales agent to sell their products or services. Thus, you can start your sales journey in one of the big organisations if you have sufficient skills. Some of these top recruiters are Bosch, Cipla, Dell, Honda, and Philips.