Career Path to become Production Manager
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a Production Manager?
Production managers are the professionals responsible for planning, organizing, and controlling the production of goods in an organizational setup. It is their duty to ensure that the production process is going smooth, products are being produced efficiently and timely delivery is being made, as per agreed standards.
In big set ups, production managers work in association with the general or strategic management teams, and they co-ordinate with the marketing or finance teams to ensure that there is an awareness of the products, and they reach out to the consumers. Irrespective of the industry or domain, a production manager's main task is to ensure the efficient and timely production of goods.
What does a Production Manager do?
A production manager ensures that all the aspects of production are completed within the budget and his/her primary responsibilities include -
• To manage and oversee the entire production processes
• To plan and organize production schedules
• To assess project and resource requirements
• To estimate, negotiate and agree on the cost planning with the relevant teams and clients
• To ensure the meeting of health and safety regulations
• To determine quality control standards
• To manage time and schedule product delivery whenever required
• To select and purchase materials involved in production processes
• To ensure routine maintenance of the production equipment
• To work in coordination with sales and marketing departments
• To manage the team, supervise the staff and look after their performance management
Skills associated with Production Management
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Excellent planning and organizing skills
• Ability to coordinate and control the production process
• Great time management skills
• Attention to detail
• Decision-making skills
• Good communication skills
• Ability to negotiate and persuade
• Collaboration and motivation skills
• Delegation skills
• Ability to remain calm under pressure
• Time-management skills
• Good team management skills
• Conflict management
• Results-driven attitude
What are the Career Outcomes after a Production Management certification?
Job opportunities are available across different industries, including -
• Food manufacturing and processing companies
• Pharmaceutical companies
• Defense sector
• Aerospace manufacturers
• Electronic goods
• Electrical goods
After earning a certification from a reputed institute, you become eligible to move ahead in your career as a –
• Director - Production
• Deputy General Manager - Production
• Production Head
• Head (Production & Assembly)
• Senior Production Manager
• Plant Head
• Manufacturing Head
• Senior Manager - Production support
What is the average salary of a Production Manager?
The average salary of a production manager is around ₹ 8 LPA and may go up to ₹ 15-20 LPA depending on the experience earned and the organization one is working for. A certification boosts your chances to get hired with a good organization, and on the higher packages.
What are the career advantages of becoming a Production Manager?
• You will be involved in the decision making of the production processes, ordering supplies and budgeting, making it a responsible position
• Grab an opportunity to become general managers and other head positions, overseeing multiple stores or restaurants
• Work with the best brains of the industry and gain more and more job exposure