Career Path to become Media Planner
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Media planners are responsible for determining the right media platform for clients or organisations to advertise their brand or product. They usually work with advertising agencies or within an organisation to help clients or the organisation to get the best impact from the advertising campaigns through the use of a wide range of media channels.
What are the roles/responsibilities of a media planner?
The basic role of a media planner is to maximise the returns on advertising and marketing activities through proper media channels. Some of the common roles/responsibilities of a media planner are:
• Analysing past data and making strategies to ensure that the advertising or marketing campaigns reach the right audience in the most effective way possible.
• Recommending the most appropriate media channels that will help in getting the best possible returns.
• Liaising with the creative team, clients and all other stakeholders to identify the right audience.
• Maintaining a good relationship with the media contacts so as to get the possible advertising and marketing space.
• Checking all advertising or marketing content before releasing for publication.
What are the tools/skills associated with media planning?
If you want a successful career in media planning, the following skills are required:
• Basic IT skills and proficient in MS Office suite.
• Advanced interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
• Good analytical and organisational skills.
• High level of creativity.
What are the career outcomes with experience in media planning?
With an experience in media planning, you can expect opportunities in one of the following career profiles:
• Media Manager
• Brand Manager
• Marketing Manager
• Product Sales Manager
What is the average salary of a media planner?
The average salary of a media planner is approximately ₹ 3.5 Lacs per annum and with more experience or a certification, you can improve your earning potential to a great extent. Also, with a certification in media relations can have a better career growth as compared to a non-certified one. It may also vary according to the qualification, experience and organisation.
What are the advantages of becoming a media planner?
Media planners are important for organisations to increase their advertising effectiveness. Following are some of the advantages of becoming a media planner:
• You will be in contact with a number of creative agencies and high-level clients which will provide you with a good networking opportunity.
• As a media planner, you get to work in some of the exciting projects which will provide you with a lot of challenges.
• When you are working as a media planner, you will have a lot of experience which will help you to move into a better role in the future.
• Media planner is an attractive role in the marketing/advertising industry and you can have a good career growth.
• Fresh graduates
• Account Executives
• Marketing Executives
• Sales professionals
Who can become a media planner?
• Fresh graduates – Though it’s common for fresh graduates to start their career as a media planner, you can get better opportunities if you are a certified professional.
• Non-experienced professionals – For non-experienced professionals, the competition is high and so are the chances of getting a job. You can get a certification in media planning to improve your chances of getting an opportunity.
• Experienced professionals – When you have the necessary experience and skills, it is always easy to get the job you are looking for. With the right knowledge in media channels, you can have easy chances of becoming a media planner.
Naukri Learning offers various online courses in advertising and media planning which you will help you to enhance your career, get better job opportunities and a higher pay package.
What are the eligibility criteria for a media planner role?
There are hard and fast eligibility criteria to become a media planner. Most of the professionals have a graduate degree and knowledge in media planning. If you want to be successful in the field, you can either go for a diploma in media planning or even better, take a certification course to get the desired skills.
Why are candidates going for a media planning role?
Media planning is a good profile to start a successful career in advertising or marketing. Here are some of the reasons why candidates go for a media planning role:
• Fresh Graduates – Those who want to have a fruitful career in advertising or marketing, can have a good career growth starting as a media planner. The position also offers a lot to learn.
• Marketing Executives/Sales Executives – Most professionals in sales and marketing industry start as marketing or sales executives. So, there is a lot of competition in the field. Being a media planner will help you gain skills that will help you stay ahead of the competition.
• Account Executive – The career growth of a media planner is better than an account executive as one gets more exposure. The average salary of a media planner is also higher than the average salary of an account executive.
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a media planner:
• Prior experience – Any prior experience in media planning is going to give you an advantage. It is also great if you can have any transferable skills like communication and negotiation skills.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help in paving a way for you to become a media planner.
• Key Skills – negotiation skills, data analysis, good verbal and written communication skills, organisational skills, client handling, media relations, media buying, and brand communication.
What are the top recruiters that hire media planners?
A number of big companies hire media planners to for the effective publishing of advertising or marketing campaigns in various media channels. Some of the top companies that hire media planners are HSG Interactive, Dentsu Digital, Leo Burnett, and Ogilvy.