What is Legal Manager?
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a legal manager?
A legal manager is responsible for overseeing all the legal functioning of an organisation. The individual is usually from a legal background and tasked with managing a number of individuals in various roles like paralegals, legal executives, and individual solicitors.
What are the roles of a legal manager?
Legal managers handle all legal issues of an organisation and perform a number of other roles, which include:
• Managing the legal budget of an organisation to get the best services within its resources.
• Staying informed about all legal issues that are connected to the organisation.
• Having a good understanding of the business and the industry.
• Keeping up-to-date with the industry’s legal policies and regulations.
• Training and hiring legal representatives of the organisation.
• Reviewing and editing all legal documents.
What are the skills associated with a legal manager?
To have a successful career as a legal manager, you should have the following skills:
• Advanced legal and litigation knowledge.
• Clear communication (verbal and non-verbal) skills.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Proficient skills in documenting and presentation.
What are the career outcomes of a legal manager?
With an experience in legal management, you can expect to get opportunities in one of the following positions:
• Legal Head
• Chief Legal Officer
• Litigation Support Director
• Law Firm Administrators
What is the average salary of a legal manager?
The average salary of an entry-level legal manager is around ₹ 6 Lacs per annum, while a mid-level professional earns about ₹ 8 Lacs per annum. An experienced or senior-level professional earns a salary of ₹ 12 Lacs per annum approximately. The salary can also vary according to the candidate’s qualification, experience and the type of organisation. Usually, with a law certification, one can expect to have a better career growth as compared to a non-certified professional.
What are the career advantages of becoming a legal manager?
As a legal manager, you will be handling many responsibilities and there will be enough chances to learn new skills. Some of the career advantages of becoming a legal manager are:
• The position of legal manager can help you in boosting your career growth as it offers a good learning curve.
• With the amount of experience that you will gain, you can expect to become an individual law personnel or starting your own law firm.
• The legal industry will always provide professionals with a plethora of opportunities and you can move to a better position easily after becoming a legal manager.
Which profiles can go for a legal manager position?
• Legal Executives/Assistants
• Legal Analysts
• Associate Attorneys
• Corporate Lawyers
Who can become a legal manager?
• Non-experienced professionals – To be a legal manager, you should have sufficient legal expertise. However, if you have the right knowledge and skills, you can convince the recruiters of your capability. You can also go for a certification in law to get the requisite skills.
• Experienced professionals – Most experienced professionals are expected to have skills like litigation management and arbitration. You can also improve on these skills through a professional training course in law.
Naukri Learning offers various courses in law which will help you to boost your career, get better job opportunities or a higher salary.
What is the eligibility criteria to be a legal manager?
There is no fixed eligibility criteria to become a legal manager. However, most of the professionals are from a legal background or have studied law. If you do not have the right amount of experience in handling legal issues you can go for a law course and gain sufficient knowledge to work as a legal manager.
Why are candidates going for a legal manager role?
• Legal Executives/Assistants – For legal assistants and executives, becoming a legal manager is a step up in their career. It offers them further opportunities to boost their career and move to a higher position. Also, the average pay is also higher for legal managers.
• Associate Attorneys – Associate attorney is a junior-level position in the legal field and is in a learning profile where the candidate understands the intricacies of legal proceedings. One can become an attorney if they have the passion and patience. Otherwise, they can move to a legal manager position in an organisation to expedite his career growth.
• Corporate Lawyers – Most corporate lawyer positions are of an individual level and have no managerial responsibilities. So they look to move into a legal manager profile to gain other skills and learn the business processes as well.
What do recruiters look for in a legal manager candidate?
Recruiters usually focus on the following areas while hiring a legal manager:
• Prior experience – Recruiters prefer candidates who have worked in the same position before. However, that is not the sole criteria. Recruiters can hire a candidate if they have the requisite skills and the confidence to be successful in that position. You can get a certification to gain the required expertise to become a legal manager.
• Key skills – legal management, arbitration, business law, drafting, legal advice, vetting, cyber law, etc.
Who are the top recruiters that hire legal managers?
There are many top organisations that hire skilled legal managers to handle their legal processes and services. Some of the prominent recruiters are Indiabulls, Britannia, KPMG, Accenture, Tata Capital and Mahindra.