What is IT Functional Consultant?
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is an IT Consultant?
An IT Consultant is a professional who works closely with clients and offers their expertise on how to use information technology to improve their business or overcome problems. An IT Consultant typically works for a consulting firm or independently and offers advice to improve the efficiency or the structure of an IT System of an organisation to achieve their business objectives.
What are the roles and responsibilities of an IT Consultant?
The basic responsibility of an IT Consultant is to offer IT-related services to estimate, manage, implement, deploy, and administer IT systems on behalf of their client organizations.
Some of the common responsibilities of an IT Consultant are:
• Meeting and working with clients to determine the requirements and define the scope of a project.
• Planning timescale of the project and determining the resources required.
• Working with software engineers and IT support members to streamline the project.
• Willing to travel to client sites to liaise with the staff at all levels of the client organisation.
• Designing, installing, testing and monitoring new systems and software.
• Preparing documentation and preparing reports for clients, taking feedback from them.
What are the skills/tools associated with an IT Consultant?
• Skilled in the popular IT technology areas.
• Clear communication skills and the ability to explain technical information to non-IT clients.
• High level of flexibility and ability to adapt to the requirements of the clients.
• Ability to make quick and informed decisions.
• Quick learning and good organisational skills.
• Above-average presentation and documentation skills.
What are the future career paths of an IT Consultant?
IT Consultants can move to higher areas of responsibilities with experience or with the help of IT Certification courses.
Some of the future career paths that an IT Consultant can go for are:
• Project Manager – IT/IT Manager
• Senior IT Consultant/Senior Project Manager
• Program Manager/Technical Architect
• VP – IT, IT Director
• Chief Technology Officer
What is the average salary of an IT Consultant?
The average salary of an IT Consultant is around ₹ 8.3 Lacs per annum and with experience, one can earn more than ₹ 15 Lacs per annum. Certified professionals generally get better opportunities with above average salaries than non-certified candidates.
What are the advantages of becoming an IT Consultant?
Being an IT Consultant offers one with a lot of advantages that can help in building a successful career or move to a better position within the organisation. Given below are some of the advantages of becoming an IT Consultant:
• Most consulting firms spend a lot of resources to train their employees so that they have the right skills required as per their business needs. This can help IT Consultants to gain a lot of other skills like new technologies, leadership, man management and resource allocation. This will help to shape your future.
• IT Consultants usually command a better average salary than software engineers as the competition is very high in the latter field.
• As an IT Consultant, you will have to work and meet with different people in the industry and this will provide you with the chance to network with a wide variety of IT professionals. This can help you in your career in the future.
• The work of an IT Consultant is not fixed in terms of projects. You will work in different areas according to the needs of the clients and this will help you to have a dynamic work life.
Explore courses by designations similar to IT Consultant
Business Analyst Courses
Which profiles can go for an IT Consultant role?
• Fresh Graduates
• Technical Support Specialists
• Software Engineers
• IT Analysts/System Analysts
• Web Developers
Which profiles can go for an IT functional consultant role?
• Software Engineers/Developers
• IT Business Analysts
• IT Consultants/Technical Consultants
Who can become an IT functional consultant?
• Non-experienced professionals – To get an opportunity to work as an IT functional consultant, a candidate needs to have a certain amount of experience in the IT industry and have relevant skills. You can improve your chances of getting a job with a professional certification in IT project management.
• Experienced professionals – Professionals who are already from an IT background are expected to have good project delivery and workflow management skills. Get yourself certified to boost your career.
Naukri Learning offers a wide range of professional courses in IT project management that will help candidates to acquire the right skills to get a job, improve their career or get a better salary.
What is the eligibility criteria for an IT functional consultant?
There is no fixed eligibility criteria to become an IT functional consultant. However, most of the professionals have some amount of working experience in the IT industry and knowledge of the business processes. You can also gain the right skills with the help of an IT service management or project management certification.
Why are candidates going for an IT functional consultant role?
• Software Engineers/Developers – There is a huge competition in the software development area of IT industry as there are many professionals having common skills. However, if you have an understanding of the business processes and project delivery knowledge, you can become an IT functional consultant, which offers a good career path.
• IT Business Analysts – IT functional consultant can be said to have similar roles to that of a Business Analyst along with technical expertise. You can move up the professional ladder in an IT industry more easily as an IT functional consultant than a business analyst.
• IT Consultants – IT consultants are more versed in the technical side, with a limited understanding of the business process side. Thus, IT consultants can improve their career by being a functional analyst, having knowledge of both technical and business areas.
What do recruiters look for in the candidature of an IT functional consultant?
Recruiters usually look for the following areas while hiring an IT functional consultant:
• Prior experience – Recruiters love candidates who have experience in the field but they also look for candidates who are well-skilled and have the passion to grow. Acquire the right skills and knowledge with the help of a certification in IT functional consultant and stay ahead of the competition.
• Key skills – application design, software delivery, software development, business requirements, SAP, Oracle, requirement gathering, business processes and project management.
What are the top recruiters who hire IT functional consultant?
Many top companies across various industries hire IT functional consultants to improve their IT business processes. Some of the big names are HCL, Accenture, SAP Labs, Hitachi Consulting, Tech Mahindra, and Oracle