What is Graphic Designer?
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a graphic designer?
Graphic designers are professionals who create creative visual concepts primarily for published printed or electronic media by hand or with the help of computer software. They work on various projects related to the overall production design and layout for advertisements, brochures, magazines, books, corporate reports and websites.
What are the roles/responsibilities of a graphic designer?
The basic role of a graphic designer is to create visual creatives as per requirements. Some of the common roles/responsibilities of a graphic designer are:
• Understanding client’s requirements and determining the scope of the project.
• Designing or creating images that portray the message that the company or client wants.
• Developing the graphics content and selecting the colour and layout as per the target audience.
• Communicating with the clients, the management or stakeholders to present design suggestions before production or publishing.
• Incorporating any changes as per requirements or suggestions provided by the management or clients.
What are the skills/tools associated with a graphic designer?
• Knowledge of various designing tools/software like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, and Flash.
• High-level of creativity to develop new concepts or unique design layouts. Decent artistic skills to produce rough sketches or illustrations to offer ideas on the spot.
• Excellent communication skills to clearly understand the requirements and reflect the ideas through designs.
• Proper time management skills to meet deadlines and be flexible to work on different projects.
• Well-organised and have an eye for details.
What are the career outcomes after a graphic designing certification?
• UX/UI Designer
• Senior Graphic Designer/Senior Art Director
• 3D Visualiser/Illustrator
• Product Designer/Marketing Design Manager
• Design Manager/Creative Director
What is the average salary of a graphic designer?
The average salary for a graphic designer is around ₹ 2.7 Lacs per annum and with experience, improved skills or a certification, you can improve your earning potential to a great extent. Though a graphic designer’s career greatly depends on his/her creativity, a certification can help in getting better job opportunities in the future.
What are the advantages of becoming a graphic designer?
Graphic designers have always played an important part in any organisation. Some of the advantages of becoming one are outlined below:
• If you are a creative person, graphics designing is the perfect profession for you to show your full potential and enjoy a good career journey.
• As a graphic designer, you can work with some of the most creative people and learn a lot on the job.
• The job offers a lot of challenges as every new project is going to be different and there is little or no monotony as compared to most professional jobs.
• The career journey will be a fruitful one if you have the right creative mind and the determination to learn new things.
Which profiles can go for a graphic designing job?
• Fresh Graduates
• Junior Graphic Designer/Junior Art Director
Who can become a graphic designer?
• Fresh graduates – Though it’s common for fresh graduates to start their career as a graphic designer, you can get better opportunities if you have are a certified professional.
• Non-experienced professionals – If you are a professional with no experience in the field, might become a bit difficult to get interview opportunities. Such candidates usually go for a certification course to acquire the required skills and knowledge.
• Experienced professionals – When you have the necessary experience and skills, it is always easy to get the job you are looking for. With the right experience in designing, you can have easy chances of becoming a graphic designer.
Naukri Learning offers various online courses in designing which you will help you to enhance your career, get better job opportunities and a higher pay package.
What are the eligibility criteria to become a graphic designer?
There are no fixed eligibility criteria to become a graphic designer; however, some amount of experience in graphics designing can help you. Most of the graphic designers have good creative skills and have done a course in designing. A certification in one of the popular designing software tools can help you to get opportunities to work as a graphic designer.
Why are candidates going for a graphic designer profile?
Graphic designing is the common entry-level position for all those who want to be successful in the designing field. Following are some of the major reasons why candidates go for a graphic designer profile:
• Fresh graduates
• If you want to start a career in designing, being a graphic designer will offer you with the right platform for career growth.
• As a graphic designer, you can also have the opportunity to work in different industries and get a plethora of experience.
• Junior Graphic Designer/Junior Art Director
• For those who have zero experience and knowledge about graphic designing, they usually start their career in a junior/internship/apprenticeship role. A graphic design position is a level up and way forward for better roles in the future.
• The average salary for an experienced graphic designer is also higher as compared to that of a junior role.
What do recruiters look for in a graphic designer?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a graphic designer:
• Prior experience – Any prior experience in designing can make the recruiters interested in you. It is also great if you can have any transferable skills like communication and knowledge of any designing tools.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help pave a way to your dream of becoming a graphic designer.
• Key Skills – Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Image editing and animation.
What are the top recruiters that hire graphic designers?
There are a lot of prominent companies that hire graphic designers to work on various projects like advertising, marketing, web design and publishing. Some of the top companies that hire graphic designers are Amazon, Flipkart, Accenture, Network 18, Penguin Random House, Expedia, and Leo Burnett.