Career Path to become Treasury Manager
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Treasury manager is responsible for overseeing the cash flow and overall finances of a company. The aim of a treasury manager is to make sure that there is sufficient cash to fund company operations. He/she covers corporate finance, cash management, liquidity management and financial risk management.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a Treasury Manager?
The day-to-day activities of a treasury manager are:
• Generating reports on cash operations, overseeing cash transactions and making certain adequate liquidity
• Negotiating and managing the margins of service providers
• Working with the business to optimize working capital
• Maintaining short and long term investments
• Managing a large company’s bank records and processes
• Leading a team of staff members
• Minimizing idle cash through cash concentration
• Performing management for the debts of the state
• Controlling the affairs related to processing of expenditures
What skills are required to become a Treasury Manager?
If you are looking to build a career as treasury manager, focus on the following skills:
• Knowledge of cash management principles
• Explaining financial figures to stakeholders
• Strong communication skills
• Staying up to date with developments in finance
• Ability to work under pressure
• High attention to detail
What are the career outcomes for a Treasury Manager?
Following are the career options available for a treasury manager:
• Cash manager
• Senior manager
• Risk manager
• Business manager
• Product manager
• Finance director
What is the average salary of a Treasury Manager?
The average salary of a Treasury Manager approximately is Rs 900,000 annually. However, it can vary depending on a variety of factors like qualifications and experience.
What are the advantages of a Treasury Manager?
The main benefits of hiring a treasury manager are as follows:
• Avoiding a mix of cash surpluses and overdrafts at different centers of the organization
• Reducing the time spent on authorization, automation and payments initiation
• Minimizing cross bank transactions
• Enabling the organization to negotiate with its bankers
• Providing actionable insights to explore inefficiencies and optimization opportunities
Non Experience - One needs to have a bachelor’s degree and some of the excellent analytical abilities to become a treasury manager. If you are from different background and wish to make a career in treasure management, take up a certification course like chartered financial analyst. This will help the candidates enhance the skills in finance management.
Experience - To be considered as a role of a treasury manager, you need to require management, leadership and investment experience. Some of the other skills required to succeed in this role are financial analysis methods, accounting, economics and confidence when communicating with stakeholders.
What is the eligibility of a Treasury Manager?
The minimum eligibility for this profile is bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or related field. Skills essential for success as a treasurer are math, organizational, details-oriented, etc.
Prior Experience - Recruiters look for the notable keywords, project highlights, accomplishments and years of experience. Adding a certification to your CV can give you a valuable edge in a competitive marketplace.
Key skills: Banking, risk management, trend analysis, MIS, funding, etc.
Top companies who hire treasury Manager
There are many companies like KPMG, Tata Projects, JPMorgan and infogain looking for the well-rounded professionals. They look for some skills like organizational skills, analytical and cash management.