Career Path to become System Administrator
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a system administrator?
A system administrator is a professional whose job responsibility is to upkeep, maintain and configure reliable operations of a computer system. The professional is associated with all system management related activities like issuing upgrades and monitoring the systems. They also fix any issues with the network designs and software/hardware.
What are the roles/responsibilities of a system administrator?
System administrators are tasked with a number of roles and responsibilities related to computer networks in an organisation. Some of the major roles and responsibilities of a system administrator are:
• Setting up and maintaining of user accounts in a computer network system within an organisation.
• Maintaining, upgrading and configuring the current computer systems.
• Monitoring the network communications and the performance of the system.
• Creating a backup and recovery policy in case of emergencies.
• Implementing new policies for the use of computer system and network.
• Setting up of security policies for users.
• Documentation of internal activities related to the management of the system.
What are the skills/tools associated with a system administrator?
If you want a successful career in system administration, the following skills are required:
• Good knowledge of computer servers, networking, operating systems and software configuration.
• A decent understanding of the standard network security policies.
• Experience in scripting languages.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to understand problems and provide solutions.
• Up-to-date with the latest technologies and software related to system management.
What are the future career outcomes of a system administrator?
System administrators play an important role in keeping the computer network systems running efficiently and free from security risks. Some of the future career prospects of a system administrator are:
• Team Leader, IT /Senior Systems Administrator
• Project Manager, IT / IT Manager
• Senior Project Manager, IT
• VP, IT/Director of IT
What is the average salary of a system administrator?
The average salary of a system administrator is around ₹ 3 Lacs per annum but with experience and a mid-level professional earns about ₹ 5 Lacs per annum. Experienced or senior-level professionals earn on an average around ₹ 6 Lacs per annum. Certified professionals generally get better opportunities and have a better career growth as compared to non-certified professionals. It may vary according to the organisation, qualification and experience.
What are the advantages of becoming a system administrator?
Being a system administrator can offer a good career growth to the professionals who want to be successful in the IT industry. Following are some of the reasons that professionals go for a system administrator profile:
• System administrator is a good career start for those who want to grow professionally in the IT industry. It provides opportunities for those who can acquire skills and improve their knowledge.
• Every organisation which has a computer network requires a system administrator and if you have above average skills, you can get opportunities to work in some of the top companies in the world.
• The average salary of a fresh system administrator is nearly the same as that of a software engineer and if you can acquire the skills related to software development, you can switch to a development job later.
Which profiles can go for a system administrator profile?
• Fresh Graduates
• Technical Support Executives
• IT professionals
• Web Developers/Web Designer
Who can become a system administrator?
• Fresh graduates – If you are a fresh graduate, it is beneficial to have a certain amount of hands-on experience through internships, summer training or even a certification course.
• Non-experienced professionals – If you do not have experience in the field, recruiters are less likely to hire you as a System Administrator. Hence, such professionals can take up a certification course to gain the required skills and hands-on experience.
• Experienced professionals – Professionals who are experienced in networking and system management will find it easy to get opportunities as a System Administrator.
Naukri Learning offers a variety of networking courses which will help you to improve your chances of becoming a System Administrator.
What is the eligibility criteria for a system administrator?
There are no fixed eligibility criteria for a System Administrator. However, most System Administrators are from an engineering or science background. Professionals having other educational backgrounds can also go for a System Administrator position if they have the right skills or certifications.
Why are candidates going for a system administrator profile?
As a system administrator, you can find a lot of opportunities across various industries and the career growth is also decent. Outlined below are some of the reasons that candidates are going for a System Administrator profile:
• Fresh Graduates – For those who want to start a career in the IT industry, System Administration can help pave the way for a successful one. One can learn different skills along the professional journey and shift to other lucrative profiles as opportunities arise.
• Technical Support Executives – As a technical support executive, you will not have the same amount of practical experience as compared to a system administrator. That is why professionals tend to move to a System Administrator position to improve their skills set. The average salary of a System Administrator is better in comparison to a technical support executive.
• Web Developer/Web Designers – Most web designers/developers have similar skills and thus, there is a lot of competition in the industry. System administrators can work across different industries and therefore, there are more opportunities in this field. Also, the average salary is lesser than web developers/designers due to the competition.
What do recruiters want in a system administrator candidate?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a system administrator:
• Prior experience – Any prior experience in the field can make the recruiters interested in you. It is also great if you have any transferable skills like networking, software configuration, and communication.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help you fulfil your dream of becoming a System Administrator.
• Key Skills – networking, OS management, shell scripting, remote desktop support, CCNP, network security and infrastructure support.
Which are the top recruiters that hire system administrators?
System administrator is an attractive position and offers opportunities across all industries. Various companies look to hire expert professionals who can handle their computer systems. Some of the top recruiters that hire system administrators are Apple, Oracle, Adobe Systems, Dell Systems, SAP Labs, and NTT Data.