Career Path to become Operations Head
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is an operations head?
An operations head is an upper management professional who is responsible for ensuring that an organisation’s daily activities function smoothly. The person also sets parameters to judge how effectively and efficiently the organisation is operating.
What are the roles and responsibilities of an operations head?
The role of an operations head may vary according to the organisation. Some of the common responsibilities of an operations head are:
• Improving the business processes of all departments through proper analysis and collaboration with the teams.
• Ensuring that all financial or any other targets are met across all departments.
• Making sure that all the departments work within the boundaries of company’s policies and regulations.
• Collaborating with the head of different departments to develop financial plans.
• Setting guidelines for personnel evaluations, recruitment, and career advancement of the employees.
What are the skills required to become an operations head?
To have a successful career as an operations head, you need to have the following skills:
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
• Effective decision making and analytical skills.
• Good budgeting and business writing skills.
• Excellent management and leadership skills.
What are the career outcomes with experience as an operations head?
With experience working as an operations head, you can have the following career opportunities:
• National Operations Head
• Chief Operating Officer
• Chief Executive Officer
What is the average salary of an operations head?
The average salary of an operations head is about ₹ 25-30 Lacs per annum and it may vary according to the individual’s experience, qualification and the type of organisation. The salary of a professional with a certification in operations management can have a better career growth and earn more than a non-certified candidate.
What are the career advantages of becoming an operations head?
The profile of an operations head offers many advantages in terms of career:
• The role of an operations head offers many opportunities to learn about the business processes of an organisation, which will help in moving to a top executive position.
• As an operations head, you will work with different people, which will improve your people management skills.
• There are various challenges associated with the job of an operations head and you will gain the ability to work under different conditions.
Which profiles can go for an operations head profile?
• Operations Manager
• Sales Manager
• VP – Operations
• Deputy General Manager
• Business Development Manager
Who can become an operations head?
• Non-experienced professionals – Operations head is a senior-level position and requires good experience in the field. However, if you have the skills and have done a certification course in operations management, you can have the chances of getting good opportunities.
• Experienced professionals – It is expected that experienced professionals should have good management and business operations skills. You can improve your skills and knowledge with a professional training course.
Naukri Learning offers a plethora of online courses in operations which will help you to boost your career, get better jobs and receive a higher salary.
What is the eligibility criteria to become an operations head?
There is no fixed eligibility criteria to become an operations head. However, most professionals have some amount of experience in the field. If you want to improve your chances of becoming an operations head, you need to gain the requisite skills through a professional certification in operations management.
Why are candidates going for an operations head profile?
With the experience of operations head, one can have the chance to move to a top executive position like CEO and COO. Following are some of the reasons why candidates are going for an operations head profile:
• Operations Manager – For operations manager, the position of an operations head is a step up in their professional life. One can get good learning opportunity and boost his/her career for the next step.
• Sales Manager – Most sales positions are target based and the career progression can depend on it. If you are someone who is interested in business processes and want to go operations field, you can switch to an operations head position. The average salary of an operations head is also higher than a sales manager.
• Business Development Manager – Business development managers are looking to move to an operations head position as it can offer them a good chance to progress into a top executive position.
What do recruiters look for in an operations head candidate?
Recruiters usually for the following points while hiring an operations head:
• Prior experience – Any experience related to field is beneficial as recruiters generally look for skilled professionals while hiring an operations head. It is good to have skills like business process understanding and people management.
• Key skills – Revenue generation, cost management, process management, people management, operations management, process improvement, etc.
Who are the top recruiters who hire operations head?
Top organisations from across industries require skilled operations head to improve their business and manage the operations of different departments. Some of these top companies are Jubilant Foodworks, Axis Bank, Genpact and Future Retail.