Career Path to become Naval Architect
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a naval architect?
Naval Architects are generally engineers who are responsible for designing, building and maintaining all kinds of marine vessels and structures. They are primarily associated with the research and development of the designs of various parts of marine vehicles and helping marine engineers in the construction process.
What are the roles of a naval architect?
A naval architect plays an important role in the development of marine vehicles. Some of the common responsibilities are:
• Researching and studying the design proposals and requirements to establish the final characteristics of the marine vehicle.
• Designing of a ship’s hull and superstructures as per the safety standards in the industry.
• Designing the layout of the ship’s interiors, which include passenger compartments, cargo space, elevators, etc.
• Liaising with marine engineers to set up of boiler room, heating and ventilation system, and other equipment required.
• Evaluating how the ships perform during trials at the dock and at sea.
What are the skills required to become a naval architect?
To have a successful career as a naval architect, you should have the following skills:
• Good technical drawing and interpretation skills to transform ideas into shareable information.
• Highly creative and logical mind.
• Strong computer and IT skills associated with common designing software.
• Clear communication skills (both verbal and non-verbal).
• Ability to work in a team and to communicate with stakeholders outside the engineering department.
What are the career outcomes of a naval architect?
With an experience in naval architecture, you can expect the following career outcomes:
• Marine Engineer
• Naval Consultant
• Supervisor – Naval Architecture
What is the average salary of a naval architect?
The average salary of a naval architect is approximately ₹ 6.5 Lacs per annum. It may vary according to the experience, qualification and type of organisation. Generally, a professional with a certification in CAD enjoys a better career growth than a non-certified professional.
What are the career advantages of becoming a naval architect?
The naval architect profile is a great opportunity for those who want to build a career in the naval industry. Some of the career advantages are as follows:
• For those who are looking to build a career in the navy or marine industry, naval architect profile offers the perfect start to a successful career.
• Though it becomes a bit hectic, the profile also provides a lot of challenges which can be exciting for those who are looking for a dynamic profile.
• As a naval architect, you will learn a lot of new skills and gain a lot of knowledge which will help you in your future career.
Which profiles can go for a naval architect role?
• Fresh Graduates
• Civil/Mechanical Engineers
Who can become a naval architect?
• Non-experienced professionals – Professionals who do not have experience or fresh graduates can become naval architects, starting with an internship role and learning on the job. You can also give a boost to your career if you have a certification in CAD and other related tools used in naval architectural roles.
• Experienced professionals – It is easy for experienced professionals to get an opportunity to become a naval architect. Most experienced professionals are skilled in designing and commonly-used software like AutoCAD.
What is the eligibility criteria to become a naval architect?
To become a naval architect, one must be from architectural or engineering background as it offers the basic education necessary in that field. If you are not from such a background, you can always learn the tools used in naval architecture like CAD and go for an internship position to learn the skills which will help you in your career growth.
Why are candidates going for a naval architect role?
The position of naval architect offers the perfect starting point for a candidate to move to better roles in naval engineering. Some of the reasons why candidates go for a naval architect role are:
• Fresh graduates – Naval or marine industry offers good career path but there are very few skilled professionals in the field. If you are a fresh graduate and have/acquire the requisite skills, you can have a wonderful career growth, with limited competition in the industry.
• Civil/Mechanical Engineers – Most civil and mechanical engineers like to go for a conventional roles and naval industry is not one of them. For those who are willing to take the unconventional career path, they are rewarded with a good career path and the opportunity to rise swiftly to higher positions.
What do recruiters look for in a naval architect candidate?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a naval architect:
• Prior experience – Though it’s not necessary to have prior experience to start a career in naval architecture, recruiters would love to hire one who has it or have the requisite skills. You can gain those skills with a professional training course.
• Key skills – ship designing, interior designing, structural engineering, AutoCAD, marine engineering, etc.
Who are the top recruiters that hire naval architects?
Most naval companies like to hire the best professionals in the industry as naval architect plays an important role in designing and building marine vehicles. Some of the top recruiters are Indian Register of Shipping, Reliance Naval and Engineering Limited, Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Limited, Mazagon Dock Limited and Hindustan Shipyard Limited.