Career Path to become IT Functional Consultant
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is an IT functional consultant?
An IT functional consultant is a professional who is involved in planning, designing and overlooking the construction of a software system. The individual, usually, accepts a project from a client or the top management and understands their software requirements.
What are the responsibilities of an IT functional consultant?
An IT functional consultant performs many tasks in order to successfully design and build software systems that meet business needs. Some of the common responsibilities are:
• Understanding business processes, identifying business problems and eliciting business requirements.
• Determining clients’ software requirements and evaluating how it can be turned into a logical and technical business model.
• Communicating with all the stakeholders so that there is a successful transition from requirements stage till delivery of the software.
• Delivering end-user training to the clients and ensuring follow-up support for the application on an ongoing basis.
What are the skills required to become an IT functional consultant?
For a successful career as an IT functional consultant, one should have the following skills:
• Highly adept at understanding business requirements.
• Experienced in project delivery and workflow configuration.
• Strong communication skills (verbal and non-verbal).
• Good amount of upgrade and support experience.
• Expertise in some of the common tools and software like SAP, MS Office, etc.
What are the career outcomes with experience as an IT functional consultant?
With the right amount of experience and the help of an IT certification, you can expect to get opportunities in one of the following profiles:
• Project Manager/Senior Project Manager
• Program Manager
• VP, IT/IT Director
What is the average salary of an IT functional consultant?
The average salary of an IT functional consultant is around ₹ 7 Lacs per annum. The salary may vary according to the organisation, experience and qualification.
What are the career advantages of becoming an IT functional consultant?
There are many tasks associated with the job of an IT functional consultant, but there are a lot of perks as well. Mentioned below are some of the advantages in terms of career:
• As an IT functional consultant, you will get a good amount of experience handling projects, which can help you in your career progression.
• You will meet a number of different clients and get to work with them throughout the delivery process. This will help you to connect with various people which can strengthen your professional network.
• IT functional consultants should be able to acquire a quick understanding of the business requirements and processes. These skills can help you when you move to a better position in the future.
• The average salary of an experienced IT functional consultant is attractive. You can also work as a freelance professional and take control of your career.
Which profiles can go for an IT functional consultant role?
• Software Engineers/Developers
• IT Business Analysts
• IT Consultants/Technical Consultants
Who can become an IT functional consultant?
• Non-experienced professionals – To get an opportunity to work as an IT functional consultant, a candidate needs to have a certain amount of experience in the IT industry and have relevant skills. You can improve your chances of getting a job with a professional certification in IT project management.
• Experienced professionals – Professionals who are already from an IT background are expected to have good project delivery and workflow management skills. Get yourself certified to boost your career.
Naukri Learning offers a wide range of professional courses in IT project management that will help candidates to acquire the right skills to get a job, improve their career or get a better salary.
What is the eligibility criteria for an IT functional consultant?
There is no fixed eligibility criteria to become an IT functional consultant. However, most of the professionals have some amount of working experience in the IT industry and knowledge of the business processes. You can also gain the right skills with the help of an IT service management or project management certification.
Why are candidates going for an IT functional consultant role?
• Software Engineers/Developers – There is a huge competition in the software development area of IT industry as there are many professionals having common skills. However, if you have an understanding of the business processes and project delivery knowledge, you can become an IT functional consultant, which offers a good career path.
• IT Business Analysts – IT functional consultant can be said to have similar roles to that of a Business Analyst along with technical expertise. You can move up the professional ladder in an IT industry more easily as an IT functional consultant than a business analyst.
• IT Consultants – IT consultants are more versed in the technical side, with a limited understanding of the business process side. Thus, IT consultants can improve their career by being a functional analyst, having knowledge of both technical and business areas.
What do recruiters look for in the candidature of an IT functional consultant?
Recruiters usually look for the following areas while hiring an IT functional consultant:
• Prior experience – Recruiters love candidates who have experience in the field but they also look for candidates who are well-skilled and have the passion to grow. Acquire the right skills and knowledge with the help of a certification in IT functional consultant and stay ahead of the competition.
• Key skills – application design, software delivery, software development, business requirements, SAP, Oracle, requirement gathering, business processes and project management.
What are the top recruiters who hire IT functional consultant?
Many top companies across various industries hire IT functional consultants to improve their IT business processes. Some of the big names are HCL, Accenture, SAP Labs, Hitachi Consulting, Tech Mahindra, and Oracle