Career Path to become IT Consultant
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is an IT Consultant?
An IT Consultant is a professional who works closely with clients and offers their expertise on how to use information technology to improve their business or overcome problems. An IT Consultant typically works for a consulting firm or independently and offers advice to improve the efficiency or the structure of an IT System of an organisation to achieve their business objectives.
What are the roles and responsibilities of an IT Consultant?
The basic responsibility of an IT Consultant is to offer IT-related services to estimate, manage, implement, deploy, and administer IT systems on behalf of their client organizations.
Some of the common responsibilities of an IT Consultant are:
• Meeting and working with clients to determine the requirements and define the scope of a project.
• Planning timescale of the project and determining the resources required.
• Working with software engineers and IT support members to streamline the project.
• Willing to travel to client sites to liaise with the staff at all levels of the client organisation.
• Designing, installing, testing and monitoring new systems and software.
• Preparing documentation and preparing reports for clients, taking feedback from them.
What are the skills/tools associated with an IT Consultant?
• Skilled in the popular IT technology areas.
• Clear communication skills and the ability to explain technical information to non-IT clients.
• High level of flexibility and ability to adapt to the requirements of the clients.
• Ability to make quick and informed decisions.
• Quick learning and good organisational skills.
• Above-average presentation and documentation skills.
What are the future career paths of an IT Consultant?
IT Consultants can move to higher areas of responsibilities with experience or with the help of IT Certification courses.
Some of the future career paths that an IT Consultant can go for are:
• Project Manager – IT/IT Manager
• Senior IT Consultant/Senior Project Manager
• Program Manager/Technical Architect
• VP – IT, IT Director
• Chief Technology Officer
What is the average salary of an IT Consultant?
The average salary of an IT Consultant is around ₹ 8.3 Lacs per annum and with experience, one can earn more than ₹ 15 Lacs per annum. Certified professionals generally get better opportunities with above average salaries than non-certified candidates.
What are the advantages of becoming an IT Consultant?
Being an IT Consultant offers one with a lot of advantages that can help in building a successful career or move to a better position within the organisation. Given below are some of the advantages of becoming an IT Consultant:
• Most consulting firms spend a lot of resources to train their employees so that they have the right skills required as per their business needs. This can help IT Consultants to gain a lot of other skills like new technologies, leadership, man management and resource allocation. This will help to shape your future.
• IT Consultants usually command a better average salary than software engineers as the competition is very high in the latter field.
• As an IT Consultant, you will have to work and meet with different people in the industry and this will provide you with the chance to network with a wide variety of IT professionals. This can help you in your career in the future.
• The work of an IT Consultant is not fixed in terms of projects. You will work in different areas according to the needs of the clients and this will help you to have a dynamic work life.
Which profiles can go for an IT Consultant role?
• Fresh Graduates
• Technical Support Specialists
• Software Engineers
• IT Analysts/System Analysts
• Web Developers
Who can become an IT Consultant?
• Fresh graduates – If you are a fresh graduate, it is beneficial to have a certain amount of hands-on experience through internships, summer training or even a certification course.
• Non-experienced professionals- If you do not have experience in the field, recruiters are less likely to hire you or even call for an interview for IT Consultant position. Hence, such professionals can take up a certification course to gain the required skills and hands-on experience.
• Experienced professionals – If you have experience in the IT industry in one of the related fields, it would be easy for you to get a job as an IT Consultant.
Naukri Learning offers a variety of IT-related online courses which will help you to improve your chances of becoming an IT Consultant.
What is the eligibility criteria for an IT Consultant?
There are no fixed eligibility criteria for an IT Consultant. However, to get job opportunities as an IT Consultant, you need to have a certain amount of experience in IT-related work and the skills associated with understanding the IT requirements of a business.
Most IT Consultants have a degree in computer science/electrical/electronic engineering, mathematics and other science disciplines. Postgraduate degree is not a necessity but it is beneficial to have one, like MSc in IT or a business management degree linked to IT.
Why are candidates going for an IT Consultant profile?
IT Consultant offers a good career path and a wealth of experience that will help in shaping your career. The salary is also decent in the industry and you can think of long-term career improvement by increasing your skill set.
Some of the major reasons that candidates go for IT Consultant are:
• Fresh graduates-
Most fresh graduates get a software engineering profile as extra skills are required to become an IT Consultant. However, the competition is high in such profiles. Therefore fresh graduates prefer a consultant role by gaining the requisite skills through certification.
• Software Engineers/IT Analysts/System Analysts- It is a step up for these professionals as they will gain greater skills and expertise to boost their career.
By switching to an IT Consultant role, these professionals can enjoy a better salary package and other benefits.
• Web Developers/Technical Support Specialists- Most web developers have basic development skills and technical support specialists are mostly entry-level professionals in the IT industry. Companies look for professionals who have IT experience along with other soft skills. These professionals can become IT Consultants within their organisations by gaining the required skills and command a better salary package.
What do recruiters want in an IT Consultant candidate?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring an IT Consultant:
• Prior experience – Any prior experience in the field can make the recruiters interested in you. It is also great if you can have any transferable skills like software development, excellent communication and customer service along with experience in various technological areas.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help you fulfil your dream of becoming an IT Consultant.
• Key Skills – software development, interpersonal skills, documentation, project management, people management, presentation skills and business analysis.
Which are the top recruiters that hire IT Consultants?
IT Consultant is an attractive position in the IT industry and a lot of professionals look for opportunities in the field. Some of the top recruiters that hire IT Consultants are Accenture, HCL, IBM, PwC, SAP Labs, and Oracle.