Career Path to become Game Developer
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a Game Developer?
Game Developers (also known as Video Game Developers or Game Designers) are software developers who are associated with the development of video games for computer, video game consoles or mobile platforms. A Game Developer is responsible for the task of programming, designing, testing and debugging.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a Game Developer?
A Game Developer has a number of responsibilities which can be associated with a single individual or divided among a team of developers in case of large businesses. However, the common responsibilities roles that are expected of a Game Developer are:
• Brainstorming with other members of the team to create a storyline and design model for the game.
• Constructing the base or the engine on which the game will run.
• Translating the requirements into clean and efficient code.
• Conducting design reviews with all the stakeholders to improve the play mechanisms.
• Creating prototypes of the game for the management to get an idea of the end product.
• Documenting the design and coding process for future modifications.
• Testing the game before release and debugging of any errors or glitches post release.
What are the skills/tools associated with Game Development?
• Knowledge of programming languages like Java, C, C++, etc.
• Familiar with APIs and libraries.
• Comfortable working in one or more programming specialities like 3D rendering, 3D animation and audio.
• Strong problem-solving skills and high-level creative thinking.
• Up-to-date with the latest gaming technology, best practices and trends.
What are the career outcomes after a Game Development Certification?
With a professional certification in game development, you can expect to receive opportunities in one of the following job profiles immediately or in the future:
• Senior Software Developer/Game Developer
• Team Lead, Game Development
• Project Manager/Manager, Software Development
• Technical Director/Director of Engineering
• VP, Engineering/CTO
What is the average salary of a Game Developer?
The average salary of a Game Developer is approximately ₹ 6 Lacs per annum and with experience, along with a certification, the individual can have a high earning potential. A certified Game Developer usually earns more than non-certified professionals and can also have a better career path.
What are the advantages of becoming a Game Developer?
Game Development is an interesting job profile and also comes with a lot of perks and benefits. Some of the advantages of becoming a Game Developer are:
• As a Game Developer, you will work with some of the most interesting and knowledgeable professionals, which will help you to improve your skills set.
• The market for games is a huge one. Thus, you will find a lot of opportunities to be in one of the top game development companies in the world.
• Game Developers enjoy a lot of perks and benefits similar to software developers, which can provide you with the type of job satisfaction that you want. Also, most of the game development profiles provide enough flexibility in terms of work.
• Game Development offers a lot of challenges which will keep you interested and out of the monotony that can be associated with other IT jobs.
Which profiles can go for a Game Developer position?
• Software Developers/Mobile App Developers
• Web Designers/Graphic Designers
• System Administrators/Web Administrators
• Technical Support Specialists
Who can become a Game Developer?
• Experienced professionals – If you have the right knowledge, experience and skills in the field of software development, then you can easily receive a lot of opportunities for the position of Game Developer.
• Non-experienced professionals- It is not easy to get a Game Developer job with no experience and skills. This is the reason a lot of candidates go for a software development certification course to improve their chances of getting a job.
Naukri Learning offers a variety of online software development courses which will help you to boost your career, get better jobs and receive higher salaries.
What is the eligibility of a Game Developer?
There are no fixed eligibility criteria to become a Game Developer. However, to become one you need to know programming languages and have a basic idea of game development. Most of the Game Developers are from a computer science engineering background or had attended a professional training course. Also, if you have a certification, you will have an added advantage over non-certified professionals.
Why are candidates going for a Mobile App Developer?
Game Developers can have a lot of opportunities for career growth and companies look to hire skilled ones. Outlined below are the reasons why so many of the candidates are going for a Game Developer profile:
• Web Developers/Software Developers- There are a lot of general web developers and software developers in the market, which increases the competition among the professionals. As a skilled game developer, you can have less competition and more opportunities.
Game development is more specialised and hence candidates can have a better career growth.
• Web Designers/Graphic Designers- Though graphics designers and web designers enjoy good job opportunities in the market, if you have development skills as well, you can expect higher than average salaries received by development profiles.
The average salary of a game developer is also higher than that of a web designer/graphic designer.
What do recruiters want in a Game Developer?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a Game Developer:
• Prior experience – If you already have some amount of prior experience in the field of game development, finding the right opportunity will not be difficult for you.
However, if you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help pave a way to your dream of becoming a Game Developer.
Which are the top recruiters that hire Mobile App Developers?
Mobile App Developers are highly sought-after in the IT industry and one can get a chance to work with some of the top organisations in the world. Some of the top recruiters that hire them are Rovio, EA Games, Ubisoft Entertainment, Zynga and Games2Win.