Career Path to become Copywriter
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a copywriter?
A copywriter is a professional who creates written content which is used in advertising or other forms of marketing, with the aim to increase brand awareness. The written content can be of any form like billboards, jingle lyrics, newspaper advertisements, e-mailers or even social media posts.
What are the roles of a copywriter?
The role of a copywriter is to churn out attractive content which helps in sending a persuasive message to the customers to take a particular action like buying or availing the services of a certain business. Some of the common responsibilities of a copywriter are:
• Understanding the requirements of the clients’ products and services so that they can deliver the right content.
• Familiarising with the products and services of the clients or brands so that the content attracts the right audience.
• Developing creative ideas and concepts by liaising with the design team so that the final concept appeals to the clients.
• Taking feedback from the clients or other stakeholders and editing or revising the campaign as requested.
• Keeping up-to-date with the latest trends and popular culture so that the campaigns appeal to the masses.
What are the skills required to become a copywriter?
To have a successful career in copywriting, you should have the following important skills:
• Excellent writing and editing skills in one or more languages.
• Ability to write clear, concise and attractive content without any grammatical mistakes.
• Strong creative skills and a good imagination to create innovative content.
• Basic knowledge of writing and designing software.
• Excellent eye for details and the ability to work under pressure.
• Clear communication skills and a good team player.
• Resilient to criticisms and open to constructive feedback from others.
What are the career outcomes of a copywriter?
Copywriting is a creative profession, which along with analytical skills can help you to move to higher echelons in the advertising and marketing industry. Some of the career outcomes that you can expect are:
• Content Strategist/Content Analyst
• Content Manager
• Marketing Manager
• Chief Creative Director/Executive Creative Director
What is the average salary of a copywriter?
The average salary of an entry-level copywriter is about ₹ 3 Lacs per annum, while a mid-level professional earns approximately ₹ 5 Lacs per annum. The salary also varies according to the level of creativity, experience and organisation. A creative professional who has a certification in content writing or content management can have a better career growth than non-certified professionals.
What are the career advantages of becoming a copywriter?
If you are interested in a creative role, copywriter offers the perfect opportunity to do what you love. Some of the other advantages of becoming a copywriter are:
• The role of a copywriter is a very creative and challenging one. You will get the opportunity to work with some of the most interesting advertising and marketing campaigns in the industry.
• As a copywriter, your works can become viral and popular among the consumers. This will give you a lot of satisfaction for the creative jobs that you have done.
• Marketing and advertising will always be there, and copywriting is an integral part of those activities. If you establish yourself as a skilled and creative copywriter, you will get the opportunity to work with some of the biggest brands in the industry.
Which profiles can go for a copywriter position?
• Fresh Graduates
• Content Writers/Content Executives
• Social Media Executives
• Junior Copywriters
• Customer Service Executives
Who can become a copywriter?
• Non-experienced professionals – Copywriting is a creative position and you can start your career with little or no experience. However, to have a better career growth, you can always go for a certification in content writing or creative writing.
• Experienced professionals – Most experienced professionals should have good creative abilities and communication skills. You can also understand the in and out of copywriting with a professional training.
Naukri Learning offers a variety of professional courses in content which will help you to become a professional copywriter and boost your career.
What is the eligibility criteria for a copywriter position?
There is no fixed eligibility criteria for a copywriter position. Creativity and the ability to clearly express a brand’s identity are some of the skills which associated with copywriting and does not require any special education. Though, one can learn a lot with a degree in creative writing or a certification in content.
Why are candidates going for a copywriting profile?
There are a lot of people who love to work in a profile where they can show their creativity. Some candidates prefer a copywriting role because of the following reasons:
• Fresh Graduates – Copywriting offers a good opportunity for fresh graduates to showcase their talent and ability to create innovative content. They prefer to start a career in copywriting role because of their passion towards creative profiles.
• Content Writers/Content Executives – Though content writing profiles have some amount of creativity involved, it might get monotonous at one point. This is why many content writers and executives like to move to a copywriting position.
• Customer Service Executives – The job of a customer service executive is very constrained and one-dimensional. They can go for a more creative role by switching to a copywriting position. The average salary is also better for copywriting as compared to customer service executive.
What do recruiters look for in a copywriter candidate?
Recruiters generally look for the following points while hiring a copywriter:
• Prior experience – Recruiters prefer candidates who have already showcased their ability to write convincing copy. However, if you are a fresh graduate or want to start your career in copywriting, you can get certified and establish your creativity.
• Key skills – copywriting, content writing, editing, proofreading, ideation, conceptualisation, content marketing, content strategy, etc.
Who are top recruiters that hire copywriters?
Many big companies hire experienced and creative copywriters to help in their advertising and marketing campaigns. Some of the top recruiters who hire copywriters are Flipkart, Amazon, RR Donnelley, Ogilvy & Mather, and Leo Burnett.