Career Path to become Content Strategist
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a content strategist?
Content strategists are professionals who are responsible with the development of content strategies to achieve an organisation’s business objectives as per the target audience’s taste and needs. They oversee the content requirements as needed and make editorial calendars, style guides and maintain the content publishing budget across a project lifecycle.
What are the roles/responsibilities of a content strategist?
The core role of a content strategist is to develop a strong content plan for an organisation to improve its overall business. Some of the common roles of content strategists are mentioned below:
• Developing a content strategy which will maximise the business value.
• Doing content gap analysis to understand where the business lacks content strength as compared to its competition.
• Finding new areas or audience which can be tapped using content.
• Creating a content timeline for all the team members, including content developers, editors and content marketers; establishing the roles and the workflow.
• Analysing the impact of the content for a particular period and making inferences on how to improve the delivery.
What are the skills/tools associated with content strategist?
• Working knowledge of MS Office Suite and popular content development software.
• Basic know-how of analytical tools like Google Analytics for measuring content impact.
• Proficient in creating high-quality content that will appeal to the right audience.
• Clear communication skills (verbal and non-verbal).
• Good understanding of different multimedia formats other than text.
What are the career outcomes with an experience in content strategy?
• Content Specialist
• Content Manager
• Chief Editor
• Marketing Manager
What is the average salary of a content strategist?
The average salary of a content strategist is approximately ₹ 4.5 Lacs per annum and with experience, skills and the help of a certification, you can increase your earning potential to a great extent. With a certification in content marketing, a candidate has a better chance of career progression to the next level than a non-certified one.
What are the advantages of being a content strategy?
Content strategists play an important role in improving the content publishing and content marketing activities of an organisation. Some of the advantages of being a content strategy are:
• As a content strategist, you will be working with a lot of creative professionals and get to learn a lot of new things.
• The role of a content strategist is multi-faceted one and you are going to work across different areas to deliver content that is in par with the business goals. This will help you to communicate with different stakeholders.
• Being a content strategist can act as a stepping stone towards a more successful role in the field of content marketing.
• The work associated with a content strategist can offer you with a lot of new challenges and will be an interesting one for those who are interested in creative work.
Which profiles can go for a content strategist?
• Content Writer/Content Executive
• Assistant Editor
• Social Media Executive
• Digital Marketing Executive
Who can become a content strategist?
• Fresh graduates – Though it’s common for fresh graduates to start their career as a content strategist, you can get better opportunities if you are a certified professional.
• Non-experienced professionals – If you are a professional with no experience in the field, it might be a bit difficult to get interview opportunities. Such candidates usually go for a certification course to acquire the required skills and knowledge.
• Experienced professionals – When you have the necessary experience and skills, it is always easy to get the job you are looking for. With the right experience in content management, you can have easy chances of becoming a content strategist.
Naukri Learning offers various online courses in content marketing which you will help you to enhance your career, get better job opportunities and a higher pay package.
What are the eligibility criteria for a content strategist?
There are no fixed criteria for a content strategist. However, any experience in the field can be a lot of help. Most of the professionals have a balance of creative and analytical skills. If you want to improve your chances of getting good job opportunities, you can go for a certification course.
Why are candidates going for a content strategist role?
Content Strategists play an important role to deliver the right content to the right audience. Here are some of the reasons why candidates are going for a content strategist role:
• Fresh Graduates
For fresh graduates, to start your career as a content strategists is a great opportunity to build it into a successful one.
You can also learn a lot of skills as a content strategist that will help you move into better roles in the future.
• Social Media Executive/Content Writer/Content Executive-
The roles of social media executive, content write and content executive are somewhat restricted and offers little room for growth.
Being a content strategist can help you to move into other bigger roles which can shape your career.
• Digital Marketing Executive- Most digital marketing executives have the same skills set, leading to a huge competition in the industry. Organisations look for content strategists who have the skill to market the content and have the ability to develop a strategy which will improve the quality of content marketing.
The average salary of a content strategist is also higher than that of digital marketing executive. Good content strategists earn as much as digital marketing managers.
What do recruiters look for in a content strategist?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a content strategist:
• Prior experience – Any prior experience in project handling or administration can make the recruiters interested in you. It is also great if you can have any transferable skills like communication and content management.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help pave a way to your dream of becoming a content strategist.
• Key Skills – content management, content writing, content marketing, strategizing, analytical abilities and communication.
What are the top recruiters that hire content strategists?
A number of big companies hire content strategists to improve their content publication and content marketing activities. Some of the top recruiters that hire content strategists are Amazon, RR Donnelley, Leo Burnett, Ibibo and Flipkart.