Career Path to become Category Manager
Role / Profile
Who can become ?
Who is a Category Manager?
A Category Manager is a professional who is responsible for managing a group or category of products for an organisation. The role of a category manager is also includes the pricing an overall promotion of the product category so that it appeals to the consumers. Other responsibilities include maintaining the relationships with vendors and managing the retailing and purchasing of the product categories.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a Category Manager?
The basic responsibility of a Category Manager is to increase sales and profitability of an organisation by efficiently managing the product categories. Some of the other roles/responsibilities associated with a Category Manager are:
• Create long-term development of strategies for product categories.
• Maintain good relationships with the vendors to get better quality products and prices.
• Position and promotion of product categories efficiently so it has maximum visibility among the customers.
• Develop exit plans for unsuccessful products.
• Analysis of past and recent data to forecast product demands and plan budgets accordingly.
What are the skills/tools associated with Category Management?
• Advanced skills in MS Office, with focus on MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of category management, marketing and sales.
• Decent data analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Proficient in negotiation and have clear communication skills.
• Efficient sales forecasting to justify the budget.
What are the career outcomes after a Category Management certification?
With a certification in Category Management, you can unlock a host of career opportunities. Following are some of the career outcomes that you can expect after doing a certification:
• Product Manager
• Associate Director, Sales & Marketing
• Director, Sales & Marketing/VP, Sales & Marketing
• Head of Marketing & Sales
What is the average salary of a Category Manager?
The average salary for a Category Manager is around ₹ 11 Lacs per annum and with experience, combined with a professional certification, the salary can reach as high as ₹ 25 Lacs per annum. A certified Category Manager can earn and grow more than a non-certified professional.
What are the advantages of becoming a Category Manager?
Category Managers enjoy good opportunities in both online and physical retail organisations. Some of the advantages of becoming a Category Manager are:
• As a Category Manager, you will be making key decisions regarding the placements and promotions of a certain category of products. This will help you get a wealth of real-life experiences that will help you in your future.
• As a position where you are given the responsibility of making decisions that impact the business, you will be provided with a lot of challenges. This can relate to better job satisfaction than most other profiles.
• For professionals who are looking a career growth in sales and marketing, a Category Manager profile can be an important experience.
Which profiles can go for a Category Manager position?
• Business Development Executives/Corporate Sales Executives
• Assistant Brand Managers
• Assistant Marketing Managers
Who can become a Category Manager?
• Experienced professionals – If you are already in a marketing or sales profile and have the requisite skills, then it would be easy for you to become a Category Manager.
• Non-experienced professionals- If you do not have experience in the field, recruiters are less likely to hire you for a Category Manager position. Hence, such professionals can take up a certification course to gain the required skills and hands-on experience.
Naukri Learning offers a variety of online Category Management courses which will help you to boost your career, get better jobs and receive higher salaries.
What is the eligibility of a Category Manager?
There is no fixed eligibility to become a Category Manager. However, a certain amount of experience or skills in the field of marketing or sales is required. Most of the Category Managers have a degree in retail management, business administration or fashion merchandising. Also, if you have a certification, you will have an added advantage over non-certified professionals.
Why are candidates going for a Category Manager profile?
Category Manager is a reputed position in the retail industry and professionals compete for it. Apart from providing a career boost, the other reasons that candidates want to move to a Category Manager profile are:
• Business Development Executive/Corporate Sales Executive
• As a business development executive/corporate sale executive, the career growth is slow in comparison to a Category Manager.
• Also, the salary package of a Category Manager is well above the average salary of business development executives/corporate sales executives.
• Merchandiser- For Merchandisers, the position of Category Manager is a step up in the professional life and will help them to further career journey.
As a Category Manager, the average salary will also higher as compared to that of a Merchandiser.
• Assistant Brand Manager/Assistant Marketing Manager-There are a lot of professionals with MBA degree who want to move into core marketing or brand management. This is why there is a lot of competition in those fields. There are few professionals who have the requisite skills to become Category Managers and organisations hire certified professionals.
What do recruiters want in a Category Manager candidate?
Recruiters usually look for the following points while hiring a Category Manager:
• Prior experience – Any prior experience in the field can make recruiters interested in you. It is also great if you can have any transferable skills like merchandising, retail management and negotiation skills.
If you do not have any prior experience, a certification can help pave a way to your dream of becoming a Category Manager.
• Key Skills – Retail management, merchandising, demand forecasting, inventory management, logistics, and marketing promotions.
Which are the top recruiters that hire Category Managers?
Category Manager is an attractive position in the retail industry and companies try to hire the skilled professionals with attractive packages. Some of the top recruiters that hire Category Managers are Amazon, Future Retail, Flipkart, Reliance Industries and Genpact.