What is Project Management?
Project Management is a challenging area of work, and it takes a lot of experience and skills to be successful. The demand for good project managers is growing with the rising complexity of projects. For those who are looking to go down the path of project management or have some amount of project management experience, there is always the thirst to learn more skills and become an established project manager. The best way is to get certified and there is one project management certification that is hugely popular across the globe, PMP.
What is the PMP certification?
PMP (or Project Management Professional) is a professional designation offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). It is a non-profit organization and keeping itself aligned with the objective of helping project professionals to achieve the level of success required, has developed this certification.
Over the years it has become an industry standard and the most sought after certification by project professionals all over the world. According to data provided by 360PMO, there are approximately more than 700,000 certified individuals globally.
PMP Certification offers a lot of advantages. According to a survey by PMI, an individual with PMP certification receives a 20% higher salary.
Also Read>> Advantages of PMP
How to get a PMP certification?
Getting a PMP certificate is not a walk in the park. The examination is aimed at testing your capabilities in various areas of management. There are basically three steps that will help you to achieve your goal of getting a PMP certification:
- You should be a professional working in project management. This is who you are. To be eligible to appear for PMP certification, one has to have experience in project management
- You should have formal project management training. This is where we come to your help. It should also be noted here that to be eligible for the exam, one needs to have 35 hours of project management education
- You should apply and pass the PMP examination. Now you are the holder of the prestigious PMP certification
Also Read>> PMP Interview Questions & Answers
However, it is not easy as it looks in the above steps. Here are the important points related to the examination:
- You have the required degree. You should have a secondary (Diploma or Associate’s Degree) or a 4-year degree to be eligible
- If you have a secondary degree, then you need to have at least 7,500 hours of leading and directing projects; while if you have a 4-year degree you need only 4,500 hours of leading and directing projects
- The PMP exam is based on the PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) Guide. You will need formal training to understand all the concepts of the guide
- The exam consists of 200 questions
- The time duration of the exam is 4 hours
- You will have 3 attempts to pass the exam in a year
- If you fail to pass in a year, you will have to wait another year
Getting the prestigious PMP certification is going to certainly change your career path into a highly successful one. The above points are to give you an idea of the examination. To learn the advantages of PMP, you can read further: Benefits to Earn a Certification in PMP