PMP is an abbreviation for Project Management Professional. It is one of the most popular certifications among project managers in the corporate world today.
The certification is a valid credential for project managers and is awarded by PMI (Project Management Institute). This globally recognized certification is the most sought after by the employers, as they demand industry-relevant skills, impeccable results, and successful project completion rate. Being an ISO 9001 recognized professional certification, it brings in credibility and has gained enormous popularity in recent years.
Want to brush up on your Project Management knowledge? Refer to this blog – what is PMP.
PMP Certification Cost
PMP certification cost varies for PMI members and non-members, which is –
PMI Member: US$405
PMP Exam Eligibility
For the PMP credential, you would need to meet specific educational and professional experience requirements and then take up the PMP exam. Your project management experience should have been accumulated within the last eight consecutive years before your application submission. Candidates with experience in leading and directing projects, or in functional roles are also eligible for PMP credentials. Below is the eligibility criteria –
- Secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree or the global equivalent)
- 7,500 hours leading and directing projects
- 35 hours of project management education OR CAPM certification
- Four-year degree
- 4,500 hours leading and directing projects
- 35 hours of project management education OR Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certification
How to Apply for the PMP Exam?
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you should be ready with the information to get the process started. The steps involved include –
Register for a PMI membership at pmi.org | Fill the online application and wait for the confirmation receipt | Make the payment | Wait for the confirmation acceptance of application | Wait to be audited | Take the PMP exam after approvals
The application remains active for the next 90 days.
Exam Duration – 240 minutes
Total questions – 200
Pre-test question – 25
Question Type – Multiple Choice
PMP Certification Validity
Every PMP certification has a validity period, and in every three years, PMP certification holders would need to earn 60 PMP Professional Development Units (PDUs).
FAQs about PMP Exam
Why should I opt for PMP Certification?
A PMP credential testifies that you are ready to take up the project management tasks. It serves as an endorsement for your skills and knowledge at global levels. Some reasons why you should take up PMP certification are –
- Globally accepted certification with over 5 Lac PMP certified professionals worldwide
- Industry recognition. 80% of high-profile projects utilize PMP certified project managers
- Better remunerations. A PMP certification helps the professionals to achieve a hike of 20-22% over non-PMP project manager salaries
- Excellent networking opportunities
Which skills do I need to develop to become a project manager?
A skilled project manager should have the following skillsets –
- Data analysis
- Interactive prototyping
- Experimentation (A/B testing)
- Strong leadership quality
- Risk analysis and management
- Ability to manage time and costs
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
Is PMP certification worth taking?
Of course! PMP certification is named among the most desired and top 10 professional certifications globally, with enormous scope in different industries including IT, Operations, Pharma, Sales, and Marketing, among others.
Can I clear the PMP exam without reading PMBOK?
Yes, you can, but chances to succeed are pretty low! The Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide), is the code of knowledge for PMP, and the PMP exam is totally based on the PMI framework, as explained in the hence it is always advisable to go through the book thoroughly.
We hope you have found this information useful. To read more such articles, please visit https://learning.naukri.com/articles/.