Certifications are a must these days and employers are increasingly looking for candidates who are professionally qualified and those who possess professional certifications from accredited agencies, and PMP Project Management Professional (PMP) is indeed one of those. Project Management Professional (PMP) is the most important industry-recognized certification for project managers across Civil, Manufacturing or IT sectors.
The only agency that conducts Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification in the world is the Project Management Institute (PMI). Founded in 1969, it delivers value for more than 2.9 million professionals across the globe through global advocacy, collaboration, education and research.
Benefits of being a Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Increase your earning potential, earn 10-15% higher than your counterparts
- Boost your image of being certified with a globally recognised body
- Enhance your chances of getting job in big multinational firms where otherwise the competition is tough
- Gain comprehensive knowledge global project management standards
- Connect you with thousands of other like-minded professionals from various countries and experts worldwide
Quick tips to crack PMP exam!
- Set a timeline: Decide a date and month by when you would want to clear to exam and start working towards it. Plan and study 6 months ahead of the date decided, ensure it’s a vigorous study of 7-8 hours daily. In case you are a working professional, it’s advisable to set aside 4-5 hours each day for this exam. Working professionals have the advantage of hands-on experience on project management concepts and are easily able to relate to the same, hence it might take lesser in grasping the concepts.
- Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK): Known as the Bible of Project Management Professionals (PMP), this book contains all the guidelines, global standards and course material required for the exam. It has all the concepts explained in detail with relevant examples, diagrams, charts and so on.
- Sample Papers: There are a lot of sample papers available on the Internet, explore and test yourself with these mock papers. It will give a realistic idea on question / exam format and where you stand in your exam preparation.
Also Read>> PMP Interview Questions & Answers
- Take an online course or join an Institute: It is advisable to take a course on Project Management Professional (PMP), either an eLearning (online) or a regular course. This will help you learn through an interactive process besides networking with other such professionals / aspirants. Course completion will also give you Professional Development Units (PDUs) as a pre-requisite to the exam.
- Pre–requisites: Ensure that you have or complete the desired pre-requisites for completing this certification. The basic requirements of this course include a bachelor’s degree, at least 4,500 hours of experience in leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of formal project management education.
- Stay Networked: Study groups and discussion forums can be of a great help in your exam preparation. You’ll get to learn from others as well as a forum to clarify your doubts / queries and so on. These forums / live interactions give a lot of insight which books or Internet might never be able to, so make sure you are a part of such forums till you crack the Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Study Smart: Working professionals might not always get the time to sit down and study, hence use your smart phone to download Project Management Professional (PMP) related applications and read while on the move.
It might be difficult but not impossible to crack the PMP, all it takes is a little effort and lots of perseverance. Stay focussed, keep your material handy and talk to like-minded people, research the Internet and most of all, stay calm and positive. Regular, dedicated effort for 4-5 months is all it takes; the efforts might be huge but the benefits are enormous. Do you have the dedication to make big and earn big? Does the thought of a professional certificate excite you? Do you often dream of leading large-scale, multi-million dollar projects with perfection….then Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is for you!!! All the best for a great and successful career.