Kotlin is an open-source, general-purpose statically typed programming language used for different platforms such as for Android, Java Virtual Machine (JVM), browser. Kotlin is preferred over Java since it is an extension of the latter wherein the developer has to write far less code to execute the same action.
Kotlin involves various functional features such as “Interoperability” with Java, a null safety, a native conversion (also called Kotlin Native) and provides a much more concise code. These advanced features of Kotlin ensure a more seamless user experience and coding practices.
While Kotlin is similar to Java, it is also a compiled language where you have to compile the code before you can run it. The source code of Kotlin is gathered in a file with the extension .kt. Developers use Kotlin over Java because it has minimal risk with codes and has more advanced features. With Kotlin, a developer has to write less code which improves the quality of the project.
Difference between Java and Kotlin
|Object-oriented programming||Not pure OOP||Fully OOP|
Features of Kotlin Language
The Kotlin language is
- Developer friendly
- Fewer buggy codes
- Android interactivity
- UI/UX interface
- No Semicolon Usage
- Data Binding Library
- Free from NullPointer Exceptions
- Open-source language ( Automatic Conversion)
Advantages of becoming a Kotlin developer
The demand for Kotlin developers is very high. Almost every company has recognized that now the clock is moving in favour of the mobile era, and these companies want to thrive with every possible opportunity. Thus the number of jobs for Kotlin developers, especially for Android app development, IoT space, is fast growing.
The average salary ranges between ₹8 – 10 LPA depending on experience, job skills, and organization.
Skills required to become a Kotlin Developer
- Understanding of OOPs concepts, invariant Array, design patterns, extension functions, design patterns, etc.
- Knowledge of android features such as APIs, NDK, Android studio, Flutter.
- Basic understanding of web services, XML files, JSON and other tools.
- Knowledge of multithreading, automated testing, Navigation components, Data binding library, Cloud functions.
- Proficient in data structure and algorithms.
Popular Kotlin Courses
Here, is the list of best learning and certification courses for taking up Kotlin:
- Android App Development Masterclass using Kotlin by Udemy
- Kotlin for Java Developers by Udemy
- Android App DevelopmentMasterclass using Kotlin by Udemy
- The Complete Android 10 & Kotlin Development Masterclass by Udemy
- Android Development with Kotlin Fundamentals by PluralSight
- Android Apps with Kotlin: Build Your First App by PluralSight
What to include on a Kotlin Developer Resume
For getting good opportunities you should have a thorough mobile app development background. Ideally, you should include the links of the applications you have created on Google play. Understanding and showcasing of great UI/UX best practices will help you get recognized by top product companies.